Saturday, January 02, 2010

It's not a HOLIDAY

Several people wished me a happy holiday or asked how my holiday was going on Thursday.  New Year's EVE.

My response was, "Today is not a holiday.  Tomorrow is the holiday."  I felt their well wishing was no different than asking, "Are you having a good Thursday?".

Later in the afternoon on Thursday I had the opportunity to talk with Becky on Skype and she asked about my holiday.  I gave her my little speech about Friday being the holiday.  She didn't believe me so I asked her a simple question to clarify my position.

"Did you get mail today?"

The answer was, of course, yes.  If it was a holiday then the mail wouldn't have run.  Cari was in the room with me and she was now tired of my holiday definition.  She took up an argument against me but I remained confident.

I expanded on my New Year's Eve argument and declared that Christmas Eve is not a holiday.  Christmas is the holiday.  The title "EVE" automatically defines itself as leading up to the holiday.

Around seven that evening, Cari asked me to go pick up something at the store.  I didn't even get out of my chair because I knew they were closed and I reminded her of that fact.

"Why did they close early?", she asked.  "Could it be that they closed early for the holiday?"

2 comments:

Becky, Grant, Penelope and Reagan said...

If the deilvery of mail is the official way to designate a holiday then every Sunday would be a holiday, and the following days would not be holidays in addition to NYE and Christmas Eve: Valentine's Day, Groundhog Day, St. Patrick's Day, April Fool's Day, Veteran's Day Earth Day, Mother's Day and Father's Day...not to mention my Birthday!

2010 USPS Holiday Schedule:
January 1 - New Years Day
January 18 - Martin Luther King Jr's Birthday
February 15 - Presidents Day
May 31 - Memorial Day Holiday
July 5 - Independence Day 4th Of July
September 6 - Labor Day Holiday
October 11 - Columbus Day
November 11 - Thanksgiving Day
December 24 - Christmas Day
January 1 2011 - New Years Day

Becky, Grant, Penelope and Reagan said...

Not to mention that the 5th of July is definitely not a holiday...yet no mail will be delivered on 7/5/10.