Monday, July 04, 2011

Another Holiday Weekend!

Hope everyone is enjoying their holiday weekend.  We decided to spend my paycheck last week at Lowe's and pick up materials for a pile of home improvement projects.

First up.  Attic stairs.  Our old, wooden, stairs had a broken bracket and messed up springs.  The ceiling door wouldn't close properly and our air conditioning was flowing straight out of the house.  Replacing these steps didn't sound like fun and I was right.  We decided to wait until the temperature was up around 150 in the attic before getting started.


How long does this take anyway?  I checked on YouTube, because it's like Google.  YouTube is never wrong.  One video claimed this was a two hour job.  Sweet!  It was late Sunday morning and time to get to work.

Once the old one was chopped into pieces and removed I realized getting back into the attic was a problem with my short ladder.  Here's Cari's taller ladder for me to use.  
Two hours came and went and we were still working.  The new one was out and the new one was being held in place by two support boards.  I was sweating in the attic as we tried to bolt the new one in place.  One thing we didn't anticipate was the new stairs being narrower.  We had nearly 3 inches on each side to fill.  
Finally bolted in place I was allowed to escape the sweat box that some call the attic.  We were making good progress and one of the last things to do was cut some excess off of the aluminum steps.  I thought it would be good to put on some safety goggles for this step.  Cari went and got me some goggles.  These were not what I had in mind. 
I thought I was getting ready to go snow ski or take a ride in a bi-wing plane.  
With dinner time quickly approaching the moldings were back in place.

A two hour job?  Not even close.  If we didn't have to find a way to fill the 6" of extra space, we would have been a lot closer to that estimate,  but does any home improvement project ever go as planned?


Next up is replacing the porch railing.  No more than a four hour project is what YouTube says.

Happy summer everyone.


No comments: