Friday, July 22, 2011

Garden (beta)

I got interested in trying my hand at having a garden about a month ago.  It's a bit late to start, but I decided to get some seeds and see what would happen.

This summer is phase one of my garden (beta).  Phase one is plant some seeds in large pots and see if anything green will turn up.   Sure enough some small green bean and corn plants shot out of the dirt within a week!  Success!  Now to see if I can generate anything from the plants this year.

The corn will have to be transplanted into the soil soon, but I may attempt to leave the beans in the pot unless they become too large.

Phase two is next spring.  Now that I know I can get the plants started, I'm going to start a small garden next year with a variety of vegetables.   I won't even start them in the pots next year.  Straight to the ground.

Phase three is . . . hey!  Let's get through phase two before I start revealing all of my plans.

I'll post another blog at the end of the summer and let you know how garden (beta) turns out.

3 comments:

Melba said...

Some vegetables grow very well in pots but I've found that they really need to be large so that the roots have room to grow. I tried carrots in pots last year and they were a flop. Have you ever heart of square foot gardening? You should google it. That's what we started with and it makes the visualization from seed to full grown plant a lot easier. Good luck on your endeavors - I'll be curious to see how it works out!

Melba

Duck Hunter said...

Thanks for your comments Mel! I'm going to be doing some more reading on this and I'll let you know how the current experiment goes.

Farm Girl in MD said...

Can't wait to see how gardening (beta) turns out!!