Thursday, September 15, 2011

What's for Dinner?

I had the opportunity recently to stay home for a few days while Cari made a trip to see some family.  This put me in charge of the house.  I had to pick up kids from every corner of the Earth, figure out dinner, get homework done, clean up, get kids in bed on time, etc. . .  Oh yeah, I also told my boss I would be available those days, so I was working at home a bit through the day as well.

It didn't take long before I was ready to give control of the house back to my wife.

I had money and plans to eat pizza one night, so of course, the kids and I voted to do that on the first night.

The rest of the time I planned meals at the last possible second.  Nobody starved and only one kid complained.   The problem was with the day that Cari was expected home.

We anticipated her to be home close to dinner time.  I figured after a full 12 hour day in the car she would be ready to cook us a real meal!  The kids and I were tired of my quasi cooking.

When homecoming day arrived, and the hours clicked by, I realized that she wouldn't be home until hours after dinner time.  Damn.  I was out of ideas.

So on the last night of running the house I started digging in the cupboards.  I needed something quick and easy.  Mostly easy.  Food supplies were running low because I hadn't done any grocery shopping through the week.  I had used up all of my supplies based on the time I thought I had to fill.

Here's a quick scan of what I checked for:

  • Hot dogs - nope.
  • Chicken nuggets - nope. 
  • Frozen pizza - nope. 
  • cereal - yep!
  • cheese - yep!
  • ice cream - yep!
  • pickles - yep!

Here's your choice kids.  You can have a bowl of cereal and a pickle or some cheese with a piece of bread.  I thought I was going to have a mutiny on my hands so I offered up some ice cream to make peace.

It's a good thing Cari came home that night.  Those kids weren't going to allow me to serve another meal.


1 comment:

Bronnie said...

You mean there was no dancing and celebrating? "Dad is GREAT! He gives us chocolate cake!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRmN4KnfPxQ