Friday, January 27, 2012

Your Serving Size Is Stupid

How many pop tarts are in a foil package?  Two.  How many pop tarts make up a serving size?  One.
What the hell should I do with the other one?  It's in a foil pouch that disintegrates as soon as you start to open it.  If they intend for you to only eat one at a time, then they should wrap them individually.  Is this more efficient packaging in action? That's not possible!  Once I start to open it, if I only eat one as they supposedly expect, then I'll have to find some other means of wrapping up the extra tart. Where's the efficiency in that?  This isn't about packaging or anything else innocent.  This is about a scam! They want to put lower values on the nutritional label to encourage you ... no. . .. to trick you into thinking their product isn't so bad.

I'm okay with having multiple servings in the same package.  There are plenty of examples of this.  Stuff like BREAD does this.  They usually include a twist tie so I can get my serving of bread and then close it back up.  It's not like you tear open a foil pouch containing a loaf of bread, get your one or two pieces out, and then look at it like, "What the f*ck am I supposed to do with the rest of this bread?"

I'm just waiting for other companies to really start taking advantage of this.  Things like candy bars.  Imagine a Snickers with two servings. What are you supposed to do with a half eaten Snickers?  I'll tell you what.  If you want your nutritional info to look great, just jack up the servings per container.  Let's make a Snickers bar equal to thirty servings. At that point, I'd print "ONLY 9 CALORIES" really large on the wrapper. People would be on the damn Snickers diet the next day!  This makes about as much sense to me as 2 servings in a pop tart pouch.

(Yes. I know the picture I posted is not Pop-Tart brand.  But it's the same thing and the same issue)

No comments: