Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Newlywed Trip

Cari posted a picture from our weekend getaway and someone referred to us as newlyweds.  I'm not sure how long you can be married and still use that title, but that is what this trip was like.  We had an amazing time together.

Our weekend getaway was a trip to Asheville, NC.   Asheville is a great place to get out and walk around the city.  There are some pretty unique shops to visit, beautiful architecture, and wonderful opportunities for people watching.



While doing some shopping and browsing we came across a bead store filled with cool things.  At first I was thinking this would just be a boring ol' bead store, but once inside we found beads made of all variety of stones, wood, ceramic, glass, and bone.  I found some bone beads carved into skulls and decided that I would make a bracelet.  I'm sure wearing skulls on my arm will bring me some luck!

Some of the other great shops included a soap shop, a few yarn stores, a game shop, and some shop that contains an indescribable assortment of stuffs.

Some areas of town seemed to house a population of hippies.  More and more people walked these blocks with dread locks and hemp sewn clothes.  I wondered if this group had any influence on the park rules.

When we finally made our way to the hotel we were told that our room had been upgraded.  We weren't really sure what that meant until we made it upstairs.

This hotel room was bigger than our first apartment.  Seriously.  This was a cool room to stay in.

The next morning we made a stop at the North Carolina Arboretum.  It was recommended to us and, after visiting, we recommend it to you.  We didn't take advantage of any of the hiking trails on the property, but there were plenty to choose from.  We stuck close to the formal and structured gardens on our walk.




 Our favorite part of the arboretum was the Bonsai exhibit.  There was some really incredible works of art in that area and some education on how it's done as well.  I told Cari that I was going to take up the art when I retire and she compared me to Mr. Miyagi.



I'm still not sure how long a couple can be referred to as newly weds, but after this weekend I think it's more about how happy the couple makes each other than it is the length of time they have been together.


1 comment: