Wednesday, November 27, 2013

No Shave November?

Maybe you have heard someone mention something about "no shave November" over the past month.   Maybe you have seen some guys that looks like they have been staying in a cabin in the woods for a few weeks.
This is supposed to be about raising awareness for cancer research or cancer in general.  I'm not really sure.  I feel uninformed mostly because there doesn't seem to be a lot of talk about that part of it.   Most of the talk is about "look at this cool beard I have".

During the first few weeks of the month I also let my beard grow out.  It was fuller than I had ever let it get before.   Did I do this for "no shave November"?   No, I wouldn't say that I did it for that reason but I was certainly influenced to try and stop shaving for a few weeks because of it.  The great thing about this activisim is that it takes laziness to participate.  All you have to do is stop doing something.   Sounds like a good way to get participation from men.

Then last week I realized I wasn't a big fan of having a beard (Cari wasn't a fan of my beard either) and I started to think, "what's the point?"   So I went into the bathroom and shaved.

Some of these campaigns probably have good intentions and there are probably people out there promoting the cause in a worthwhile way but most of the guys on Facebook aren't doing much for cancer by happily not shaving and neither was I.

No comments: