Tuesday, September 05, 2006

FREE pool!

FREE pool to a good home with someone who is prepared to: lose a lot of sleep, spend a lot of money, and cry a lot.

My neighbor was so proud the day he got his free above ground pool. If he had known then, what he was about to go through, I guarantee he would have never taken it.

Here's a short description of what he went through.

His yard is a giant hill, so the first thing to do was hire someone to come cut part of the hill out. The tractor driver accidentally ran over part of the pool, so my neighbor purchased more parts.

The other end of the designated spot had to be built up. He purchased truckload after truckload of dirt and gravel. Then he purchased several pallets worth of retaining wall blocks.

Imagine that these first few items had some cost to his free pool. As he built his retaining wall, he realized it wasn't quite big enough. A calculation error. He took the wall down, expanded it by purchasing more blocks, then rebuilt it. Repeat this process twice.

Amazingly, he didn't give up yet. With the wall built and the dirt filled to the top he spent several nights working under floodlight to pack and level the dirt.

After he got the walls up I learned something quite horrible. Cari had volunteered me to help one day after work. She told me I would only be there for an hour. RIGHT. I saw how late this guy worked into the night. So, I went to help my neighbor put the liner in. We left at 11:30pm. We started around 7pm. Hardly an hour.

The pool is up and filled with water. His retaining wall has held the weight. It looks good. So why did I hear a grown man wailing last night?

It's Labor day, the day that most people shut their pools down for the winter.

3 comments:

Ruby's My Spy Name said...

I hope he has a lot of kids, friends, neighborhood kids, and relatives who can "put it to good use." It sounds like a nightmare to me too. I'd rather break my big toe than go through that.
So, what were you doing when you were working? Glad its over?

Duck Hunter said...

I'm not sure what you mean, "when I was working. and glad it's over."

John said...

Heh heh. I have "free dogs" which are about the same, but don't require retaining walls.