Friday, September 01, 2006

Doing my chores

Last night the dishwasher started making some crazy sounds. Cari and I opened it up and looked inside for anything odd. I tapped on the inside of the door. Looking back, I'm not sure what purpose that served. Anyway, the door sounded normal. We closed it up and continued the wash. The noise had not gone away. It was a buzzing sound. It reminded us of maybe an electric problem. Maybe we should have stopped it. The dishes were dirty so we let it finish it's cycle and decided we would start thinking about a new one.

Dishwashers are easy to install. You pull out the old one, hook a drain and supply line to the new one. Connect electric to the new one, push it into place and start cleaning dishes. Maybe a two hour job.

Today at work I found a dishwasher that was going through a model change so I got a good deal on it. Cari came up to take a look if it met her standard. She approved of it and was making plans of loading it into the car. That's when I started REALLY thinking about how this install would go. The last thing I installed was the storm door, and it almost killed me.

I don't use the dishwasher very much. Ok, I've used the thing once. I knew that it would be my job to get it in. I started campaigning to Cari. "Maybe we should pay someone to install this.", I pleaded. I argued that the dishwasher was such a good deal that paying for the install would be almost free. I got the salesman (who works for me) involved with the conversation and we were soon signing the papers for the professional install.

Tonight, when I got home from work, Cari showed me the newly installed dishwasher.
I smile and nodded as she showed me the features. I was happy to see that I did a great job getting my part done.

4 comments:

Speed Seeker said...

My dad and I installed my dishwasher a while back and it was a pain. That's why I had him do most the work...I just handed him the tools he needed. ;)

Tammy said...

My Uncle attempted to install a dishwasher once and electrocuted himself. All I really remember is him flopping around on the floor like a fish out of water. Turns out there was water in the dishwasher. My Uncle is ok but is not allowed near electrical devices anymore.

Ruby's My Spy Name said...

We also had a terrible time having ours installed. And we HAD a service man do it. I'm proud of you! It takes a bigger man to pass the buck sometimes.

Ruby's My Spy Name said...

Yea! You added a photo! So now your spiffy picture comes up on comments. That's cool! (esp. considering your love for photography).