Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Cheerwine

I've only had Cheerwine a few times since I've been in South Carolina. Cari and I were out on another adventure Tuesday (more on that in a few days) and I stopped and got a bottle of Cheerwine on the way home.

I was sitting in the office drinking it and wondered why I haven't purchased it more often. I really like it. I handed it to Cari for her to try and she said it reminded her of Dr. Pepper with cherry. That or Cherry with a hint of Dr. Pepper.

Dr. Pepper was, before now, my favorite softdrink. After Cari made the suggestion, I agreed that it does have some similar qualities. Still, there is something unique to Cheerwine. It is lighter than Dr. Pepper and a black cherry taste to it.

The drink is made in North Carolina and has been around since 1917. They still use the same recipe, but I think they have purchased fresh ingredients since then. For a long time it could only be found in the Carolina's. I've done some reading and it seems in the past few years they have made more distribution deals to get it into other areas. If you have never tried it and happen to see it in a store, don't pass it up. It just passed Dr. Pepper on my favorite drink list.

3 comments:

RoadRunner said...

I remember cheerwine in the vending machines at my middle school in Fairburn, GA. This of course was back in the 80's. I don't think I've seen it since.

d e v a n said...

I've never even heard of it. Interesting!

One Scrappy Gal said...

I can't drink Dr. Pepper. It reminds me of cough medicine. Blech. Never heard of Cheerwine though. If we ever move back to the south... I will have to look for it.