Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Disc Golf

I first learned of disc golf while on a geocaching trip with Rake and Roadrunner. In case you aren't familiar with the game, I'll explain.

Think of golf. Replace the holes with baskets mounted on poles. Eliminate the clubs and golf balls and replace them with plastic discs (frisbees). You start on the tee and throw your disc until you get it into the basket. Count how many throws it takes. Now you know how to play disc golf.

Cari and I purchased some proper discs and headed out for a game last week. The discs have a smaller diameter and are heavier than a Wallmart variety frisbee. They are also a bit expensive at around $8 per disc. That reminds me of another difference between this and regular golf. When you hit a golf ball into the swamp you drop another ball and try again. When you throw an eight dollar disc into the swamp you go find it.
Along the trail I found a fallen tree laying over a marshy area. I decided to practice the swan kick I learned from the Karate Kid. You wouldn't believe how quick Cari could get to her camera.
We had a great time but we didn't score very good. Apparently, people who are good at the game have learned to avoid hitting the trees.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude! Let me know when you're up for a round!

Even at $8 a disc it's much cheaper than regular golf - no clubs to buy, no greens fees, and you don't have to wear those funky shoes.

What course was this?

RoadRunner said...

I was just talking with a friend last week about playing disc golf. I still have yet to try it.

Duck Hunter said...

Tom I would love to play. The problem I see is that you are off weekends and I work most weekends. We'll have to get together through email and figure it out. We went to the Red Owens park in Easley.

Melba said...

sounds like a fun game...LOVE the pictures!