Friday, February 18, 2011

80 Shots

The photograph in the previous blog took more than 80 clicks of the shutter to get.  Why does it take eighty shots of a self portrait to get it right?  Here's a summary of my photo shoot followed by some bloopers.

It started with an idea.  I wanted a shot of me sitting at the desk.  I wasn't sure on the facial expression I would use, but I wanted to try several.  Something that maybe expressed some concern over quitting a job.  I set up the camera on a tripod and aimed it at the desk.  I set the flash on another tripod and pointed it at a wall.  Then I took several shots before stopping to check the result on the back of the camera.

Out of focus.  Light too bright.

I moved the focus zone on the auto-focus and adjusted the light some.  I didn't want to manually focus this shot because I was moving around a bit between shots.  I just had to line myself up with the lens better.

My next group of shots was much better.  I moved the flash around and re-composed the shot.  While I had the setup, I wanted to try a few various poses and looks before settling on one quick snapshot.

More out of focus photos were included in that group.  I was using a really narrow field of view which meant I had to have the focus right.  A very narrow range of the image would be in focus and everything else slightly blurred.  If I could have gotten behind the camera and taken your photo, it'd be no problem.  But with me jumping from behind the camera to in front of the camera, it was a problem.

After eighty shots I selected some of my favorites and did some minor editing.  I adjusted the crop, contrast, and black level before I posted the shot you saw the other morning.

Here's a few of those eighty shots that didn't make the cut:

No comments: