Saturday, August 13, 2011

Google vs Amazon music

Our electronics are becoming less focused on a single job and more like computers and multi functioning.  This is like the time when you purchased a universal remote and put the other five remotes in a drawer.  A recent change has been with music.  I no longer have to carry a specific MP3 player.  I can hear my music on my phone, on my computer, or on my tablet.  If I have any one of those, I have all of my music. For a long time I would have to manually transfer that music to each device and take up memory on each one.

There are a lot of options for putting your music in the cloud.  I have really only investigated using two of these new services.  The ones by Google and by Amazon MP3.  Cloud music storage basically means your music is held on the internet in your account and you can access it anywhere that you can connect to the internet. Any of those devices, including your computer, can access all of your music without having to take up the internal memory storing all of your favorite 80's music.

Both services stream music to devices.  Both services allow a sufficient amount of space for a moderate user like myself.  Both services allow you to download the music to your device.  Both are free! One of the things that separates these services is purchasing.  I can purchase music on Amazon MP3 and it is automatically loaded into my online account, ready for streaming (or downloading).  Google doesn't have a music store.  You can only upload music to them.  

Another difference is the way that you access the music.  The software. In my opinion, Google has a much better experience on mobile devices with a nice app to access your music.  The Amazon music app just doesn't seem to give as good of an experience in my opinion.

So which one is better?  It's going to be a user preference.  Amazon offers to let you skip the step of uploading as you purchase.  After you've uploaded your music, Google is better to use.   I'm going with Google because, I don't purchase new music very often.  Once I got past the initial upload and setup, it's the day to day use that means more to me.  So, Google felt like the way to go for me.  If you buy a lot of music and want to skip a step, Amazon might be better for you.

If you are one of the 5 billion people who own an iPod then you probably stopped reading a long time ago because you are going to be using iTunes.

Have you tried any online music storage / player?  Do you have a favorite?  Tell me why in the comments.


No comments: