Monday, August 01, 2011

Twitter Broke My DVR

When I first got TiVo it changed the way I watched TV. As you know, with the DVR you can watch TV on your schedule instead of the schedule that the network creates. Life with TiVo is awesome.

As technology and the internet pressed forward, Twitter entered into my life. Each day Twitter gains more users and it becomes more than just a place just to say, "I like turtles". One of the cool things with Twitter becoming main stream is how celebrities can interact with their fans.  I now follow several NASCAR and Formula 1 drivers. I follow actors from some of my favorite shows. I also started following Jeff Probst from Survivor. This level of access to celebrities is easier than ever before.

Last year Jeff Probst started tweeting live during the broadcasts of Survivor. He would interject behind the scenes info, his personal thoughts about the action on the screen, and even photos of him at home. During commercials he would answer questions that users were sending him about the show. It was really great. I was watching TV with Jeff!

This progress didn't come without a cost. With all the technology at my fingertips I found myself regressing to a time before the DVR. I was no longer watching Survivor on my schedule, I was watching it on CBS's schedule.  I wanted to sit down and watch Survivor with Jeff Probst.  Watching it on Saturday morning wasn't as good as watching it live.


Those Nascar drivers on Twitter like to post about their day at the end of the race.  It's great to get their reaction to what happened on the track so quickly.  But if I'm not sitting in front of my TV on Sunday when the checkered flag comes out, I'm sure to see the winner on Twitter before TiVo gets there.  Here again, if I want to join in this interactive experience that Twitter provides, I'm going to make time to watch it live.

That's how Twitter broke my DVR.  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I also use Twitter and love the ability to search for topics to see what people are talking about. During sporting events, I can just search, "Chicago Bears" and I get everyone's excitment and frustrations.