Sunday, October 07, 2012

Hardware vs Software

Boxes started arriving last week holding components of the new computer but unfortunately not enough boxes arrived before the weekend.  This means the new computer won't be able to be fully built until around midweek and then the time consuming process of installing software starts.

The first step in building the new computer was to gut two old computers.  I'll be re-using the case from the bigger computer and I hated the e-machines so I decided to gut it just to take revenge on the machine.  That, and I want to use the DVD drive from the e-machines.
One of the biggest enemies inside a computer is heat.  Heat will add wear and tear on the circuits inside the metal box.  The computer I'm building now will have more fans inside the case and mounted to the motherboard than any other computer I have built.  And then there is this
This is the heat sink and fan (fan is in my palm) that sits on top of the processor.  Intel looks pretty serious about drawing the heat off of their chip.

Pulling apart and putting back together the hardware is the fun part of this process.  The software that will come next is not as fun.  And not as photogenic either.

No comments: