Sunday, March 17, 2013

What's Your Religion

What's your religion. . .and why?   Christian, Hindu, Jewish, Muslim, etc. . .  How many of us have ever tried one that we didn't grow up with?  I imagine most of us continue the faith we were told to believe since we were children.

I haven't done any research on this but I would guess that those who fall away from their birth religion stop going all together rather than choosing another option.  Those that do try another faith may be lead to try due to a marriage or a close friend that is in that second religion.  I just believe that the conversion rate from one to another religion is very low.

I started to think it would be better if the basis of each major religion were taught in schools.  Not the younger kids, but maybe in the last few years of high school.  There are a lot of problems with this option and I don't have all the answers for it so let's not use it. . .yet.

Then I started to think that religion is a lot like culture.  Each geographic area has it's own customs and culture.  And the way religion is practiced changes from place to place as well.  There would be no consistent or fair way to teach this in a school setting.

I started to think about this, not because I am questioning my own faith or religious practices, but it just struck me how the world's major religions have these geographic areas where they are strongest and there is very little blending in most places.  It's one of those things that just keep getting passed down without anyone really questioning it.

I guess we'll have to leave it up to each person to research the various religions for themselves.  With the result being that the majority will continue to practice the religion they were taught as a youth.

No comments: