Friday, September 05, 2008

Engine Repair

I built my computer piece by piece.

I fixed the flat tire on my bike.

I can unpack and assemble children's toys.

I can not fix a gas engine.

My lawn mower has been sounding different the past few months. I checked the oil and gas and nothing got better. It also didn't get worse, so that made me happy. To my untrained ear the engine sounded flat. It didn't sound as strong. I was starting to worry that it was breaking in ways I couldn't fix so I turned up the volume on my MP3 player as I continued cutting the grass. If I can't hear it, it must not be happening. It's the same rule I use when the car makes a strange sound - turn up the radio.

I decided that maybe the spark plug is going bad. It sounded like an intelligent reason to me. I ran over to Lowe's and picked up a matching plug. I'm not sure what causes a spark plug to go bad and I don't really care. If spending two dollars fixes the mower, that's all that maters.

This morning I installed the part and started the mower. Cari was sitting on the swing watching. Immediately she looked at me and shook her head. I cut the engine off. It didn't sound any better. Cari walked over and suggested that the air filter might be clogged. My response was to stare at her.
I got her a screwdriver and she took the plastic cover off of the filter. She handed me the pleated filter jammed full of dirt and grass clippings. I removed some of the big chunks and hit it on the wall a few times. Cari put it all back together and started the mower. It sounded MUCH improved.
She turned the mower off and started to head inside. As she went she looked back at me and gave me the look that says, "I fixed your mower for you, now get to work". This time I did respond, "Hey! I changed the spark plug"!

It's like loosening the pickle jar lid without actually getting the jar opened.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

haha..is a good thing you have a handy wife :)

Melba said...

Cari is AWESOME!

Poptart said...

Girl power!!