Friday, November 13, 2009

Balloon Photos

Here's a few of the shots I took last weekend at the balloon festival.

This balloon floated directly over my head.  I thought it was a different view than what you normally see.

I think I told you earlier this week that I got to stand in the middle of the launch field on Sunday morning.  As each balloon was filled with hot air, there was a person attached to a rope holding the top of the balloon.  These ropes seemed to be everywhere as the mass of balloons were be prepared.


This was something I wanted to try with the photos and I wasn't sure if it would work.  I ended up really liking this shot.  The challenge:  Would a black and white of colorful balloons work?


No balloons here.  This is sunrise on lake Hartwell.  Taken somewhere around 6:30am on Sunday morning.  There was no traffic, so I stopped my car on the bridge and snapped two quick shots out of the car window. Here's one of those two:


In photography, light is everything.  Getting up at 5:30am on my day off was well worth getting these shots.  As the balloons ascended into the air, the sun was low on the horizon, giving each balloon some great side lighting.  Taking balloon shots in the afternoon, with the sun up high, would not have had the same effect.  Well, unless the flight was at sunset.  


Can I post hot air balloon photos without showing you some flames?  I almost did, but I decided I owe you at least one.  First, they fill the balloon with air using a big fan.  When the balloon is mostly inflated, they start shooting the flames into it, heating the air.  At that point, it only takes about a minute for the balloon to stand upright and start to gently lift off the ground.

No comments: