Monday, February 15, 2010

Finally Snowed

After several false alarms we actually ended up with some snow last week.  I was driving back from Augusta, Ga when it all started and long before any snow was sticking to the ground, people were freaking out.  I saw cars going 30 in a 55 as they were amazed at the white precipitation.   This seemed to be a common scene in the area, as several friends reported encountering the same type of drivers.

It was still snowing pretty good by the time I got home and snow was starting to cover the roads.  I grabbed my camera and headed outside to see what the kids were up to.



Just before dark, I drove over to the park to take a few shots of myself in the snow.  As I drove to the park I realized that the roads were starting to get a little more dangerous and I was glad I chose a destination close to home.  Twice the anti-lock brakes came on and once the traction control activated during my short drive.  


By the next afternoon, the sun had melted everything away and it was back to our normal snow-less landscape.  It would be fun to get just one more snow before winter is over.  I'd really like a great day to do some more sledding.  Judging by past winters, it isn't likely we'll get that chance.  Also judging by the past, it's unlikely that the lack of snow will give local drivers any driving skill.

No comments: