Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Her Secret

I really enjoy drinking my one cup of coffee EVERY morning.

Wait...

That's kinda an exaggeration.  I usually enjoy drinking my coffee every morning.  It doesn't matter if I'm at home, on vacation, or just driving, I really like my coffee in the morning.  I don't even drink the expensive kind.  I'm happy with making some cheap coffee at home.  It tastes just fine for me.

Coffee is a critical part of the morning routine.

Yesterday turned out to be one of those days that I didn't enjoy my cup quite as much.  Cari made coffee while I was getting ready for work and even poured it in my cup for me since I was running five minutes late to work.  I got a few minutes down the road and took a sip.

Something wasn't right.

I sipped again and anyone that saw my face at that moment knew I had put something in my mouth that wasn't right.

There was a slight coffee taste to it.  I mean it was really really slight.  If you are interested in recreating this taste, and you really shouldn't, here's the recipe that I created in my head:

1 cup of hot water
a dash of soap
add a pinch of something from the spice rack for flavor.
enjoy!

I was really tired and I think that's why it took so long for me to figure out something was wrong.  I took a third sip.  Now I was sure something was wrong.  After the third try I put the cup down and closed the lid.  I turned off the podcast playing on my phone, and called home.

When Cari answered I asked her if her coffee tasted ok.  She was drinking the same toxic brew that I was but she adds all sorts of stuff to it.  She said it tasted great.

"Well then there is some other mystery drink in my cup", I complained.   She swore that she poured me a cup of coffee in a clean cup but I continued to complain.  "This is the worst coffee ever.  In fact, that's not true.  It's the worst drink ever.  I'm not sure it is even coffee.  It tastes like hot water with soap!".

That's when she revealed her secret.  "It's fine.  I don't know what your problem is.  I used Pumpkin Spice coffee this morning and I think it is great."

Pumpkin Spice coffee.  If you drink your coffee black like I do then avoid Pumpkin Spice flavored coffee.  You'd be better off dipping your cup in dishwater and warming it up in the microwave.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You protest too much. I think you really liked it, and wish I would make it for you again. But, I won't. It is all mine. Mmmm.

Anonymous said...

The fact that you KEPT sipping it even though you thought it tasted like dishwater was what cracked me up the most.

Men... they just can't appreciate exotic flavors!