Monday, October 11, 2010

Alone @ Eastatoe Falls

I can't remember the last time I went out exploring alone. But that's exactly what I did for a few hours on Saturday afternoon. After a morning spent on Flickr I found out about two waterfalls nearby that I didn't know about previously.

I was on a mission to see one of those.

I jumped in the car, rolled down the windows, turned the radio off, and drove into the mountains.

Eastatoe falls is located on private property but the owner of the land allows people to park next to the house and walk back to the falls. I read about where it was and even viewed the street view on Google. Still, I wasn't sure exactly what house it was. It's not like they put a sign up that says, "Waterfall this way." They don't advertise, but if you know about their secret, they won't kick you out.

When I reached the area I drove past the house that I thought it was. I turned around and went up the driveway. The drive goes straight to the house and then wraps around to the back of the house. There were two cars in the driveway and it felt creepy. I was a stranger just driving up on someones house. I turned around and left because I didn't see any signs that I was at the right place.

I went a few blocks down hoping a neighbor would be outside and could confirm the location but I wasn't that lucky. I went back to the house and as I rounded the backside of the house the top of the waterfall caught my eye. I made it! As I gathered my gear I was greeted by a barking dog.  The walk through the yard was short and I entered the woods to be greeted by the falls.

Before the photos, let me say thanks to the owners once more.  They certainly don't have to open up their yard to the public. Their property contains a real treasure and I'm truly grateful to them for access.

This is Eastatoe Falls:


Oh, and this is a scary rope bridge nearby.  I didn't walk on it, but only because the tree house didn't offer better views of the falls.
I spent a bit longer than I had expected at the falls because I took half of my photos with a bad camera setting.  As you can see, the falls are amazing.  The drop is around 50-60 ft.  There are so many boulders and downed trees it is easy to get photos from all angles without getting your toes wet.

If the boulders hadn't of been there, I was prepared to get my feet wet.  This was worth driving home with wet feet.

6 comments:

Tom said...

Excellent photos, as usual. I've driven by this area many times and have wondered how one might get back to the falls. Once upon a time you could actually see the falls from the road, but I think the trees and things have grown up to obscure the view.

Culs-de-sac to Cornfields said...

Wow! Those are really great pictures, and how lucky to have something so incredible in your area! It would have definitely been worth getting your feet wet (although my clumsy self would have fallen in, regardless).

Amanda said...

That looks amazing. I want to go when I come down next. And I want to walk on that bridge.

Farm Girl in MD said...

looks like fun!

Duck Hunter said...

@cul-de-sacs even if you fell in, it's worth it!

@amanda totally! only a 30 minute drive from home. I'll film you walking on the crazy bridge. Good luck!

C said...

beautiful pictures