Saturday, June 02, 2012

Mt Pisgah!

Last weekend we loaded up the car and took the kids hiking.  Amazingly there was very little complaining on this morning.

We drove up to the Blue Ridge Pkwy and headed over to Mt Pisgah.  Our goal - the top!  I had hiked this one time before with my good friend Chip and I didn't remember this being very tough.  I was betting that I could get my family, including the 4 year old to hike to the top and back.

In the parking lot I pointed out the mountain we would scale.  There were a few doubters in my family but no complaining.  We hit the trail.

There were quite a few people on the trail that day and several with dogs.  My kids stopped and met every dog on the trail.



At the top we took a break and had a snack before heading back down.  There was a little complaining at the top because I was taking too long to look around and take pictures.  The kids wanted to keep moving.  
We started back down and the youngest declared a race and said she would win.  She wasn't running down, but she was moving at a good speed.  Anytime someone in our family tried to walk ahead of her she would speed up and loudly declare that she was going to win the race.  Still no complaining.
In the photo above you can see Cold Mountain (the center peak).  Cold Mountain is in the North end of the Shining Rock Wilderness.
Yesterday I reminded the family how much fun we all had climbing Mount Pisgah last weekend.  "There wasn't even any complaining!", I pointed out.  Then I suggested we do that again this weekend and was immediately shut down.

No comments: