Saturday, December 08, 2012

Sissy-fied

One of the topics I've recently heard about at work is how managers talk to and treat their employees.  We must explain the why of our requests.  We (managers) must be there to serve our employees and support them.

Ok, I understand all this,but at some point don't the employees just need to do what they are told no matter how big of a jerk the manager is?  It was pointed out to me that in the 1950's this new attitude would have been laughed away.

In the 1950's the employees did what they were told, when they were told, or they would be looking for a job.  It doesn't matter why I asked you to move those boxes, just do it.

I'm not saying the old way is the best way to do things, but I'm afraid we might be headed too far in the opposite direction.  The Generation Y group seems to me to have a sense of entitlement.  They also seem to be a pain in the butt.  They need more pampering and attention.  I need work to get done.

I'm sure these kind of complaints come around every generation as politics and culture adjusts to the new group.  Then again, maybe it's not the entitled Generation Y, maybe I'm just transforming into a grumpy old man.

No comments: