Tuesday, December 04, 2012

The Bet

I made a bet.  At the time I was confident that I would win.  If I hadn't been confident, I wouldn't have made the bet.  Now, I admit that winning was going to take some effort on my part that I wasn't sure I would give. Accepting the risk, I made the bet.

I had to find one of those displays of key chains or plastic cups with her name on it.  She said those displays never have her name.  Never.  I was surprised by her claim and certain that she was wrong.  It's not an odd name by any stretch and I know I've seen it.  She said I didn't have to purchase the item if I found it, only to take a photo of it.

Deadline.  Thanksgiving.  On the line was a home cooked breakfast.  Cooked by the loser to the request of the winner. 

As suspected, I never made the effort to go to the mall and search one of the displays.  I thought about the bet a few times over the three weeks I had to locate her name, but never entered a store that might have one.

Thanksgiving evening she came up to me and said, "I'll have waffles".   My girl won a bet against me and it was time for me to honor my end of the deal.

This past weekend I got out of bed a little earlier than I would have liked and started to gather up the ingredients.
 I don't cook very often, so when I do, I follow the recipe exactly as it's printed.  I can't risk it.
After I poured my first scoops of batter onto the waffle maker and closed the lid I realized I left a step out.  One that was printed clearly in the instructions.  I couldn't believe I missed a step.  I didn't do anything to oil or grease up the waffle maker before pouring the batter on.
My first step was to open it and see if it stuck like a huge mess.  My second step was to look in the bowl and see how much I would have been able to make if the first round failed.  Thankfully, after cooking, they came right out without any sticking!

Here is the winner of the bet during her requested breakfast.
Thankfully, I was able to produce more than one delicious waffle, which meant that more people could share in the victory.
Including me.



No comments: