Tuesday, July 02, 2013

The Reunion

Over the weekend some classmates picked up the pace on Facebook to start talking about a high school class reunion next year.  It's great that some people love these events and put the effort into making them happen but I'm not a fan of high school reunions.

I can see the value in them if you are someone that graduated in the 50's or 60's.  Your 20th reunion happened before the internet.   But it's different now.  If you are interested in what I'm doing or where I live you could already find that information on Facebook.  An overpriced dinner being held several states away isn't required to catch up anymore.  The opportunity to reach out to someone is there nearly everyday in the majority of cases.

I don't keep in touch with many people that I graduated with and they don't make any efforts to interact with me.  Sure, we "friended" each other shortly after joining Facebook, but in the following years we didn't even "like" each others posts.  Suddenly you care if I attend the event?  

But wait!  You're thinking I should go to the reunion for the people that aren't on Facebook.  There are two issues there.  First, we're trying to get anyone we can think of to join Facebook to learn about the reunion.  After they join, I'll contact them and catch up one on one.  Second, if they don't join Facebook, I'm putting pretty low chances on them coming to the event anyway.

Obviously I'm not a fan of high school reunions but I acknowledge that they are probably good events for some people.  For those people, I hope you have a great time.  If you want to find out what I've been up to since high school just send me an email.


2 comments:

Melba said...

Ours was scheduled for June and SIX people paid to attend. Such a low number they ended up canceling it and rescheduling for September. I'm venturing an early guess that most people share your sentiments (even if they can't articulate them) and the planners for my school will face a similar issue/decision in September. I'm right there with ya! Have NO desire to pay $50 to reconnect with people I could reconnect with for free any day. And that's not the only expense...travel, clothing, child care. It ends up being a very expensive evening for not much in return.

rakethetable said...

I totally agree after attending my 20th (after facebook). You and I are in the same boat as far as moving away from home far enough that said people don't normally cross your path in any given year.