Friday, February 22, 2008

Duck Pond

Almost two weeks ago we headed over to a big park with a nice play area and a large duck pond.

There were dozens of birds, ducks, and geese at the pond. Several people were tossing stale bread and chips at them.
We had left all our stale bread and chips back home for dinner, so we didn't have anything to throw at the animals except rocks.A nice lady with a whole loaf of bread gave a piece to Meredith. I don't know if she thought my daughter was hungry, or was just giving her an opportunity to feed some birds. Either way, that's when the miracle happened. I was lucky to have caught the moment with my camera. My kids. . .were . . . SHARING!
There was also a large goose walking around that allowed you to pet it, as long as you let it peck you. Ask Meredith about that one.
When I crouched down to pet the beast, I noticed that it was at the perfect level to peck my eyes out. I slowly stood up and backed away.

Instead, I spent some time trying to take some action shots of the gulls flying. I even got this one to turn and smile at me.Then I realized he was probably just checking out my eyes, dreaming about pecking them.
I started to pack up our stuff to leave for the day, when I looked up and saw Meredith talking to a goose. Funny thing about it was that the goose was talking back. SERIOUSLY! Enlarge the photo and look at the goose to the left of Meredith!
We all made it home safely. Everyone still had all their eyes and parts in tact and we even had one piece of fresh bread left over that we shared as a snack.

3 comments:

d e v a n said...

looks like fun!

RoadRunner said...

Those Geese can be quite chatty once they get going.

Aaron said...

"We had left all our stale bread and chips back home for dinner, so we didn't have anything to throw at the animals except rocks."

I howled when I read that.