Sunday, April 05, 2009

April Pranks....reduced

I made a huge mistake this year on April first.  It was a week earlier when I had realized that I scheduled a meeting to be held on the first.  I made a comment about planning a prank on my team without paying attention to who was in the room.  

A few days later, with my plans starting to develop very nicely, people started approaching me and asking if I had something great planned.  It also came out that all the information was leaked by the same person.  Someone that was quietly sitting in the room that day I mentioned my prank.  After the third person approached me about a prank, I knew I had to cancel it.  A prank would not be funny if everyone was expecting it.  On Monday I decided it would be funnier to NOT pull a prank when they would all be expecting it. 

On Wednesday, April 1, I arrived at work about ten minutes early.  That alone is a great prank!
I removed the three office chairs from my office and replaced them with metal folding chairs.  
When one of my managers arrived and headed back to the office, I knew she would call within two minutes.   When my phone rang, I just started laughing.  She demanded her chair back and threatened to go home sick if I didn't comply within ten minutes.  

It took me forty five minutes to get her chair back and thankfully, she was still at work.  While I was back there I snuck into my boss' office.  I removed one wheel from his chair and stuck it in his desk drawer.  

When the boss arrived, he heard about the metal chair incident and said that it didn't seem like I did anything to him.  He was relieved.  After lunch, I got a phone call from my boss.   

He said that before he sat down, he reached over to get something out of the desk and saw the wheel.  He placed the wheel on the desk but didn't catch on that it was from his chair.  He sat down and started working.  The chair has five wheels, so it didn't tip immediately.  When his phone rang, he leaned to the left to answer it, the chair attempted to dump him onto the ground!  It was then, that he called me. 

My meeting that afternoon went along like a normal meeting with no prank.  I was a bit disappointed and I learned that when planning a prank, to do it in silence.  Sometimes a good prank will require collaboration with others and this year I learned of one person that can't be trusted.  He doesn't know it yet, but he just became the target for April 1st next year.  

Planning starts today. 

2 comments:

rakethetable said...

make it a good one.

Ruby's My Spy Name said...

Heh! I was waiting to find out what you did. You're notorious! At least you got a couple of good ones in. I didn't. Mom and I planned something but it kind of blew up at us. Next year....next year.