Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Interrupted

I don't work in an office very often at work.  Most of my job is on my feet and the times I sit in the office are times that I really need to get some things done.   

If I plan on being in the office for a few hours, I will leave the door open.  I do this for a few reasons.  I want employees that need me to be able to ask a question and I also don't want my boss to walk by and think I'm napping in there if he walks by.  

The problem with the open door is that employees seem to take that as an invitation.  Recently, people that were headed to break will plop themselves in one of my chairs and start talking. . . about NOTHING!  I had one employee come in and ask me what I was doing.  It wasn't any of his business, but I answered that I was finishing a report due by the end of the day.  He nodded as he sat his butt next to me and started talking about the Nintendo Wii.   HEY MORON!!!  I AM WORKING!

Even if people don't stop and sit down, they all seem to poke their head in the door for a hello.  That's not really needed.  I don't need friendly greetings to interrupt me.  I need to be left alone.  
I decided on Monday to take action on the problem.  I figured I have two options.  The first one is to start keeping the door closed so that most people would not realize I was in the office.  The second option is to get a little rude and chase people out.  Something along the lines of, "Hey moron! I'm working!", might work.  

I have started using option one on Monday.  With the door closed, the interruption was zero.  I was actually staying focused and getting some work done.  Reports were getting filed before the dead line and I was feeling good.  Then the phone rang. . .

. . .ugh.

3 comments:

rakethetable said...

don't answer it.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry, I didn't realize you were so busy. Next time just tell me to get out.

Melba said...

I can't believe you didn't want to take a break to talk about the Wii...