Thursday, April 16, 2009

False Alarm!

Roughly half of my work days I have to be there at six am.  That means getting up at 4:45am would give me plenty of time to get ready, have some breakfast, and leave the house no later than 5:30am.  It would be the perfect start to a day.  

Too bad it never happens that way.   For example, I got out of bed at 5:15am today.  After I had showered, shaved, got dressed, made breakfast (to eat in the car), I was still only five minutes late.  I'm not always late, but I am always pressed for time.   

Over the past few years I have tried various methods to get myself up earlier with little success.  I have placed my alarm clock away from the bed so that it now takes two giant steps to reach the clock, hit snooze, and take two giant steps back to bed.  

My alarm clock is always set to be about seven minutes fast.  The hopes with that was that I would see 5:10am, freak out, and jump out of bed.  The reality is that as I take my two giant steps back to bed every ten minutes, I am also doing some basic math to figure out what time it is.  I still have no problem going back to sleep. 

I used to use a wind up mechanical alarm with the little hammer that bangs into the bells on top.  There was no snooze on that thing.  Once the hammer stopped, it was over.  Get up or sleep until the sun comes up.  I no longer use that clock.  

I used to set my alarm much earlier.  I figured, if I'm going to hit snooze three to five times a day, I'll just start earlier.  The result was hitting snooze five to eight times and it interrupted about thirty minutes more of my sleep.  I now set the alarm closer to the time I need to get up.  Cari likes this way better.

I'm also obsessed with the thought that I will forget to set my alarm.  I set it before I go to bed, check the time one more time, and then get into bed.  After about five minutes of getting comfortable, I lay down and start to doubt if the alarm was really turned on.  Every night, I set my alarm twice. 

These have been my habits for several years now.  I have realized that I can not force or trick my body into getting out of bed at the ideal time.  I will always wait until the very last second possible. 

The result has been the development of the most efficient morning routine in history.   

9 comments:

Poptart said...

Were we separated at birth? I do the exact same thing.

RoadRunner said...

Here are a couple of tricks I came up with to help PopTart.

1- Set the bell alarm clock and set it in the bathroom. By the time you turn it off, you are already in the bathroom set to get ready.

2- Have Cari mess around with the time without your knowledge. So you never know if it is ten min. ahead, right on time, or what. This only works if she does it without your knowledge on a regular basis.

3- I have gone as far as to set all the clocks in the house a few min. ahead, including poptarts wrist watch, in the hopes that she will get out on time.

rakethetable said...

I do not relate.

I do not set my alarm clock.
I usually awake the same time each morning +/- 2 or 3 minutes.

I get up and start my day and arive 30 minutes early to work.

I don't know - its just the way I am wired.

Farm Girl in MD said...

efficiency is my middle name in the mornings!! I am upset that they are starting school 15 minutes earlier starting in may.

Anonymous said...

My husband has 3 alarms. One next to the bed, one 5 steps away and another 10 steps away. When he gets to the last one, it's right next to the bathroom... so why not go pee and start getting ready for the day?

Thankfully...his alarms don't affect me. I can't hear them. Bliss! :)

d e v a n said...

Try this: http://www.amazon.com/Clocky-Mobile-Alarm-Clock-Color/dp/B001OK9C9K/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1239987788&sr=8-1

Melba said...

Efficient mornings have become the name of my game too! Although, we recently purchased a new digital alarm clock so now-a-days we are waking up to NPR. I must say, the friendly voices of the morning crew are much nicer than a blaring alarm. I find that I feel more peaceful and ready to start my day than I did when we used a beeping alarm.

Perhaps the reason you are having such a hard time is that is it just SO early? For me...when I have to get up that early it feels unnatural and my body protests more than if I can get up at a slightly more reasonable time.

Melba

Amanda said...

I am so getting you that alarm clock that Devan sent the link for for Christmas or something. Its awesome. I want one but I get out of bed just fine. :-) However...it would stink if the alarm clock made its way into the kids room and woke them up. Ok..maybe not the greatest of ideas but pretty darn sweet if you ask me..lol

Duck Hunter said...

that alarm clock looks cool. Thanks for the link Devan! I may end up with it some day.