Thursday, October 01, 2009

Normal People

My ten year old has a very strong sense of what "normal people" do.  When we make him hike and go on our adventure trips, sometimes he would rather stay home like "normal people".  He can't believe I force him to hike and try to enjoy nature. 

Last night Cari sent him to his room to read for thirty minutes.  It is a daily requirement of ours, that he reads for thirty minutes a day at home.  After years of this rule, he still has times when he wants to fight it.  Last night he tried another argument.  "Nobody else has to read every day, why can't we let him be normal?".  After a few exchanges with his mom, he tried to have the last word as he headed upstairs, "Don't you know I just want to be average!"

1 comment:

Farm Girl in MD said...

This made me laugh out loud! I, too, was an expert on "normal people" do. Every time I was forced to go pick lima beans, or to get up at 4:30 to go to a cold and wet corn field, I said "Why can't we just be normal people!!"

PS--To your son--normal isn't all it's cracked up to be!!