Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Duct Tape to the Rescue


Last week my car started making this horrible grindy type noise.  That, and when the car changed gears it shook the entire car violently.  I was scared to take anyone with me because they might get whiplash while the car shifted to 2nd.

I drove home and when I pulled in the driveway I revved the engine a bit to see if I could hear any other scary noises.  Other than the metallic grind it sounded fine.
The next day I drove my car to the grocery store and had no problems.
The day after that we drove to a basketball game for one of the kids.  On the way home the car started complaining in its grindy shaky way.  It was time to figure out the problem.

Once we got the car home we opened the hood.  Probably something I should have done on the first day but didn't.  Standing in front of the running engine I heard something different.  Air.  There was a leak somewhere.   Cari got out of the car and started touching stuff.  I pointed to the area that sounded like it was leaking and Cari grabbed hold of a small black tube.  It sucked her finger into a small hole on the tube and she smiled.  She found the leak.  I went into my mechanics tool box and brought out the one item it contains. My duct tape.  I taped up the hose and the air sounds were gone.  Problem fixed.

Cari wasn't completely satisfied with my mechanical repairs and after a visit to O'Riley's automotive and sixty five cents a proper fix was purchased.  A small piece of tubing with holes only at the ends.  I installed the vacuum hose and the car has stopped being all grindy and shaky at me.  

I added the remaining piece of hose to my mechanics tool box.  Right next to the duct tape.

No comments: