Sunday, June 25, 2006

1922-2006 Marie Striegel Topper

I've never been to a funeral before. I've never stood in front of a dead person before. Last week I did both of those.

Standing in front of the body of someone I know was a strange experience for me. I knew it was Marie I was looking at. She looked different. It sounds totally silly, but she looked dead. I mean you could tell that her spirit was gone. It was an empty body. Something I had never seen before. Our pastor has told me multiple times that the human body is just a shell for your spirit. Your spirit is your connection with God, not your body. Until I saw Marie laying in that casket last week, I don't think I fully understood.

I had only known her for two years. The two years that she sat in the pew directly in front of us at church. She always sat between Charles, her husband of 65 years, and her daughter. Several times, Cari would tap Marie on the shoulder and ask for a tissue when Meredith would have a runny nose. Marie always gave us a smile as she passed the tissue back.

The funeral was done very nicely. The organ was playing and a woman from church sang a beautiful solo. Both of them were behind a wall and not visible to those in the sanctuary. I guess their being hidden is to keep them from being a distraction to those attending. It was almost like the music was coming from thin air. The pastor said some wonderful things about Marie and read some comforting passages from the Bible.

I mentioned that Marie was married for 65 years. Every time I saw Marie, I saw her husband with her. Every time I saw him, she was with him. I can't imagine after their lives together what it must be like for him now. He was surrounded with family and friends this week. I never saw him stand alone. His family will have to return to their homes and their jobs soon. But he will not be alone.

This morning in church. Our last hymn was "Here I am, Lord"
Charles went up and knelt at the alter. The three rows in front of me emptied as his entire family joined him.

That was very emotional for me. Did I cry? Well, I'll tell you that I didn't sing that last hymn. I just listened.

2 comments:

Tammy said...

Funerals are hard not matter how well or little you knew the person. I know what you mean about seeing adead body and it looking not quite like the person did in life. My condolences on the death of your friend.

Anonymous said...

What a nice remembrance of Mom. She was actually born in 1921 and had a wonderful, full life. She was the "rock" in our family and will be sorely missed forever. We take great comfort that this "woman of Faith" is with her beloved Angels. Funerals are never easy, but they help us honor our loved ones and begin the grieving process. Thanks and our Love for your Faithfulness.