Thursday, June 15, 2006

Scored a triple!

It was a long day at work. Hunger was starting to make me desperate. I went into the break room and put a dollar in the stupid vending machine. Made my selection by pressing one number and one letter. The spiral arm that holds the small bags of Doritos started spinning. The bag got closer to the glass. Then the arm stopped spinning. My world fell silent. In my head I was screaming, "NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!"
My bag of chips was caught up in the machine. Held by one corner. Pinned against the vinegar and salt chips next to it.

I went and talked to a friend in the next room that was eating Doritos. "The machine ate my dollar.", I cried.

He gave me a dollar and said that two would fall out. He said he was still hungry and didn't mind doing this to help me. The bag of chips was honestly only worth fifty cents. Not in our break room. Eighty cents for these things. I pushed the edge of the bill into it's slot. The machine snatched it out of my hands. Again I pushed the buttons. The spiral arm went into action. My bag of chips pressed toward the glass and the bag behind it was almost free. The arm stopped. Nothing fell.

NOTHING FELL!


This machine has now STOLEN two dollars. The bags of chips were laughing at me. Looking back on it, maybe it was the other employees on break that were laughing. I was not happy. One of those other employees suggested putting another dollar in. "Are you kidding me?", I responded. He got up to witness how one bag of vinegar and salt chips could hold back TWO bags of Doritos. He then pointed to the bottom row of the machine and asked, "Why didn't you just select those Doritos, it's the same thing?"

I walked away from him. With my fists clenched I went back to my friend who was now also out a dollar. Together we went back to the break room pounded on the glass a bit. He may have even kicked it. Either way, we still had no chips. He then did something I could not believe.

He put another dollar in it.

I swear to you. I am not making this up. All three bags were now jammed at the top of the machine. We attempted to rock the machine over on its side but it was bolted to the Pepsi machine next to it. As I cut the straps to separate the machine from the others, my friend went for a dolly.

We propped that machine up and dropped the front end. Crash!! I saw something move. I kind of hoped it would be multiple items. I wanted revenge on this machine. One bag of our chips sat in the bin. We picked up the machine again and kicked it down. Another bag. Within five minutes we had all three bags of chips. We went back in the other room to eat.

"These should taste better after all that work.", I said while eating my Doritos.
He nodded at me. His mouth full of powdered cheese.

3 comments:

Tammy said...

Happy you got your chips. Did they taste better?

Ruby's My Spy Name said...

Hey. Thanks for the comment. I've read your blog quite a few times because of your link on Mish's page.
So, this very thing happend to me at college a few months back.... but with gum, not chips. Very annoying!!! But you made out better than I did. I never got my gum.
Did you know that 35 people died last year because they "abused" the vending machines and were crushed by a falling machine? I learned that in my waste of a psychology class.
Hope to read you more!
Abbie

Speed Seeker said...

That happened to me. I was fine to lose the dollar, but my friend decided to kick it. A bit too hard maybe, as the clear plastic broke. Oops...At least I got my dollar's worth...lol