Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Eat at Joe's

Cari came up to work to have lunch yesterday. We met up with two guys from work. They didn't go to McDonald's, Ruby Tuesday's, Subway, or any other chain restaurant. When I called they were at Joe's.

We have never been there before. It's in the small town of Easley, right across the street from the train tracks. From the outside, it looks like any other small diner. I was surprised how busy it was inside. The tables were old and packed in close together. An old man wearing an apron was leaning against the wall talking with some men at a table. We found the guys from work in a table back in the corner.

The menu seemed to have a lot of listings. Upon closer inspection I found that it was a hamburger ten different ways. One of the guys we were with has lived in Easley his whole life. He knows everyone it seems. He pointed across the room and said, "that was our assistant principal, Mr. Geddy's. They named the new middle school after him."

It wasn't long before the old man in the apron came up and shook all of our hands and asked how we were doing. It was Joe. He was in the dining area the entire time we were there. It didn't look like he was working really. It looked like he was enjoying the company of some friends.

After I paid, I ran back to the table to leave a tip. Joe patted me on the back and thanked me for coming in as I passed by on my way out.

The food was good, the company was great, the atmosphere couldn't be matched.

2 comments:

Ruby's My Spy Name said...

This is the kind of place Mark would end up living at. There's a place like that here called Frank's Diner. Most of it is an old train car so its really tiny inside. But it sounds SO much like Joe's by you. Michelle and I had breakfast there. It was GREAT! I just love places like that with so much character. Good find!

Michelle said...

Abbie ~

It definatly sounds like something on the same par as Franks. Although the pat on the back seems a little over the top.