Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Happy Birthday! - the conclusion

I followed Cari into the bedroom. She got her pajamas on and climbed into bed.
"Noooooo!!!!"
"What is your problem?", she said half laughing.

I laid down on the bed. My strategy wasn't working at all. I crossed my arms and stared at the ceiling as I came up with a new plan.
My tone changed from a pitiful whimper to an almost angry sound. I didn't say much for the next few minutes. With a frown on my face I continued to figure out a way into Cari's head.
Cari said, "I can't believe you are getting angry about this".
"I'm not angry.", I said with a frown. "If you don't want me to have the wheel today that I'm fine with that."
I was trying some sort of reverse psychology. Obviously I have not been trained in that field because Cari replied, "Ok. Good night".

I sat up quickly and suggested we go out and take one more look in the box before bed. Cari refused but said she had to get up and check the timer on the coffee pot. That was my first hint that I was going to win. She didn't want to give up the fight but she also didn't want me to give up. She was enjoying this and would give me clues of hope when she suspected I may quit.

After following her around the house, we ended up laying on the bed again. I tried crying. I tried laughing. Nothing was working. She continued to threaten going to sleep and discussing this more in the morning. Then she asked me, "What do you think your chances are at getting the wheel tonight?"

I didn't want to sound confident. I told her there was a ten percent chance of me getting it. In my head, I felt like I had an eighty percent chance.
"Go play with your new wheel.", she said.

"I WIN! I WIN! I WIN!!" is what I thought, but I said, "Thank you!"

She told me that it was never planned to be a birthday present. She intended on letting me open it from the beginning. She just wanted to watch me beg for TWO HOURS!

The comments I received the other day were great. Thank you. They pretty much turned out as I expected. Women take Cari's side, men on mine. Thankfully, Abbie and Michelle didn't leave a message because that would have put my side into the minority by far.

So I have now had several days with the new wheel. It's great. It was well worth the battle I put up to get it.

2 comments:

One Scrappy Gal said...

I'm not letting Chris read your post becuase he's still trying to wear me down for the Nintendo Wii.
Why can't he understand that if he opens them now, there will be nothing under the tree from us come Christmas?! Men!!

Ruby's My Spy Name said...

The women will hate me....... You should HAVE the gift and I'm glad you did. I sure am glad that I commented though. I was mentioned by name. Michelle just left me house too. I wish we could have read this together! Man, that's a bummer. Mark ordered this halloween mask (Masks are his thing. No metaphors, please). The darn thing was $350.... so he SHOULD have it the minute it came in the mail. But I do understand Cari wanting you to wait. I hope the thrill now makes up for your not getting anything cool on your actual birthday. Enjoy, man...but shame on you for the mental game palying. You're shameless!
Love, AB