Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Toys

We were talking today at work how men will spend lots of money on toys. Women will spend money on things for the house, yarn, books, and things like that. Normally costing a fraction of the toys. One woman in particular was complaining about her husband running out and buying expensive gifts for himself without consulting her. I'm talking about three thousand dollar gifts!
When she complained he said that it was his money. I'm under the impression they still hold separate bank accounts.

We all laughed and joked together about making large purchases. I couldn't help but to think this woman's marriage can't be a very strong one. If they are acting independently are they more than room mates? It's kind of an exaggeration to say that, but shouldn't the married couple act as one unit?

My newest toy is much cheaper than that. My new toy is Google Earth. It's free! It's been around for a while and I have always heard people talking about but never took the time to download it.

YOU MUST TRY GOOGLE EARTH. Don't laugh too hard, but I will tell you that I was up until three in the morning the night I installed it. Why? I was tagging all the race tracks around the globe. I was zooming in and tagging houses of my relatives. Google Earth is FUN! I even found the house of one of you!

7 comments:

Ruby's My Spy Name said...

You are such a voyeur!.... Wait.... blogging is voyeurism too, in a way. Ok. So the truth is out (so to speak). I too, am in your little club. Have you seen www.zillow.com? Well, with Zillow you not only see friend's and family's homes on satalite, but you can see how much they paid for their home and how much its valued now. Voyuerism at its best, isn't it? YIKES!
Anyhow.... thanks for asking about my week. Its been pretty good. But I'm SUPER busy (no surprise there). I'm tired too. But it was nice of you to ask. How was your week? Good, I hope.
~Abbie

Speed Seeker said...

Google Earth Rocks...About time you checked it out...hehe

I think I'm gonna check out that Zillow page that Abbie suggested. Sounds pretty cool.

ray of hope said...

Yes, google earth is a wonderful, FREE time-wasting toy. My brother-in-law discovered it a couple years ago and many hours were spent looking up friend's houses, airfields, ballparks, national landmarks, etc. You name it, we looked it up. Loved the zooming in from outer space and the quick traveling from one location to the other...wish it was that easy. Haven't looked at zillow but will have to check it out.

One Scrappy Gal said...

I never even heard of Google Earth. I must have been living under a rock. I wonder if you could find me under the rock with this program?

Michelle said...

I was really curious to see how Abbie would respond to this post. Mostly because of the toys are boys buy.
But really things for the home are just female versions of toys, because we think our roost is a representation of us. No one really needs accented throw pillows.

Becky, Grant, Penelope and Reagan said...

Google Earth is free and pretty sweet. you can even zoom in too. They have a new version coming out I believe soon. but now think about how powerful google earth is and that its free, just imagine what the military has....i'm guessing real-time and further angling. the eyes in the sky are watching you!

Anonymous said...

Have you tried turning off roads and borders and populated places. Then spin the map and try to guess the place or city or country?

If works best if you tilt the globe so that it looks like your flying over the surface - then zoom in real tight so that you can only distinguish between land and water.

Spin, stop globe and tilt so you have strait down sight.
(the tilt is the top slider control above the compass) Zoom out of pan till you think you have a guess.