Sunday, November 19, 2006

Happy Birthday! Part 2

Cari ordered my birthday present a month a head of time. She told me the day that she ordered it that I would not have it until just a few days before my birthday in December. The reason to order it now was to ensure its availability.

When it arrived the other day I begged to open it. Cari, of course, refused. Inside the box is the Logitech G25, a racing wheel and pedals. I have read every scrap of information I could find over the past three months. Now, it is sitting in a brown box in my room. How can I wait a month to try it?

I asked Cari if I could take it out of the brown box and photograph the product box. She agreed, but reminded me it would not be opened. After a few minutes of obsessing on the box, I took my photos.It was still not time to give up on getting my wheel. I needed to wear Cari down, but I had to do it in a way that would not cause her to get annoyed and take the box out of the room.

"Can I open the box and smell it?" A request that should seem harmless to her.
"Smell it?" she looked at me like I was crazy.
After a few minutes I negotiated the box getting opened long enough for me to smell it. It was then closed. You might be wondering what a Logitech G25 wheel smells like. Inside the box the wheel and pedals were covered with clear plastic bags. The pleasant aroma was a mix of leather and plastic.

The next time I opened it was to get the instruction book out. Again, it was immediately closed.

I felt like I was getting closer to wearing her down. The box had been opened twice.

She stood up to leave the room and go to bed. Going to bed would be the end of my battle. I had to stop her. Down on my knees I begged. Yeah, like a small child that wants a piece of candy, I was groveling at Cari's feet.

On her way to the bedroom, she told me that opening it would ruin a special moment of my birthday. "It's already special. Let's open it and really admire its specialness!"

She continued to walk to the bedroom. Of course, I followed. I was desperate to get at this wheel. Cari had a huge grin and laughed as she realized she had total control.

Now I am begging you, my readers, do you really think it is fair to make me wait a month? Show Cari that it is already a special present and I should not have to wait!

7 comments:

Speed Seeker said...

Cari! Let your man play! hehe

I would be in the same position had I received an early present, and I would be begging as well.

When I was a kid I managed to convince my parents to keep my present wrapped in my room. It was a Super Nintendo. Every night when they went to bed, I carefully opened it and played it till the wee hours and then I would wrap it back up.

They never noticed that I was a bit tired each morning or that on Christmas day it took me only a few hours to beat the game it came with...hehe

Good luck...

Tammy said...

Sorry,

I am with Cari!!!! And Robin you were definitley a bad boy! I think Cari should take the box and put it away somewhere you can't get at it. Sorry. Can't help you in trying to convince her. Not only would it ruin your special day but your kids enjoyment and hers of opening it and enjoying it for the first time.

Way to go Cari!!

Speed Seeker said...

Way to go Tammy...You're supposed to be on my side...lol

Anonymous said...

20 YARD PENALTY on Cari!!!

Unnecessary use of power and un-sportsman like conduct.

If you put a player on the field and you alow him to sniff the ball WITHOUT letting him press the pedals. or throw the pedals? Sniff the box???? You guys both loony!

If the dang box is opened its fair game! Reset the clock. 1st down.
Start your engines....

One Scrappy Gal said...

Yesterday, I went to EB Games and picked up the Nintendo Wii I had pre-ordered for my husband, along with The Legend of Zelda game and book. My husband knew he was getting this for Christmas because he had begged me for it, but knew also that I would not let him open it and play with it until we opened our Christmas gifts together. He said this was fine... he didn't care. He was so happy when I walked out of the store with the bag. He sat next to me on the floor, whimpering, as I gift wrapped it. First he asked to hold the box for a second... to feel the weight of the system. Then he asked if he could browse through the book quickly, so he could see what delights he had to look forward to. Then he asked to sniff the game box. As I continued to wrap he'd lay on the floor, whimpering, and looking up at me with sad eyes. I imagine this must be what having a dog is like. He told me his co-workers are cursing my name because I'm making him wait. Sorry but 1) if I let him open it now there won't be anything for him from us under the tree and 2) he's still finishing up his Final Fantasy game so he can be done with it and start something new. I know this is just the beginning...he'll keep trying to wear me down until I give up and let him have it... but I will be strong!!

Your wife is cool. :) Just think how much more you'll love the steering wheel because you had to wait to have it.

Anonymous said...

Make up a story that there is a possible recall on the Logitech G25 and that indications of such defect shows up after approximately 40 hours of use. Also include the statement that experts are predicting with the holiday rush on purchases that possible recall replacements will take 3 - 6 months to arrive to the consumer. It might work. Otherwise purchase a gift that Cari can't currently live without and work out a trade agreement.

J































































J

Tammy said...

Terrible. What would you do if your kids pulled the same thing???? Be strong Cari. It is a great idea and one I will have to pull on Robin sometime!!! Nothing like having a man beg and plead!!!