Monday, April 19, 2010

Nisha

Shortly (the next morning) after our dog, Turtle, died the kids started asking for a new puppy.  As it turns out I wasn't in a mental state to make a reasonable decision and so I agreed to get one.

As a family, we discussed what we would like in a puppy and as we talked, Cari searched the animal shelters online.   We decided that we wanted an active dog and one that would be protective of the kids.  You know, so I wouldn't have to watch them as closely.  I also want to train the dog to compete in the disc catching competitions.

That lead us to looking for an Australian Shepherd.  By chance, Cari found an Australian Shepherd / Collie mix. The lady at the shelter warned Cari that this would be a hyper dog to deal with.  Cari pointed to the three maniac kids running around the shelter and said she was ready for anything.  Without any more discussion, they let us adopt the puppy.
Another family meeting had us all arguing to name the dog. Just a few of the more than thirty we narrowed it down to were Turtle II, Mocha, Bob, and Nisha.  Three days later it was decided. 

Nisha. 

Since that time we have learned that we have the absolute laziest dog of one the more hyper breeds.  I'm telling you that when I take Nisha to run in the yard and chase sticks, she goes out there and lays down.  If she gets up it's only to walk back to the door.  Wow.  I'm not sure I'll be able to keep up with the hyper speed at which this dog moves all day.

Naming her Nisha, which means night, was some sort of curse.  This dog loves being awake at night barking. She just barks and barks if you aren't sitting right next to her.  At some point she's going to learn to sleep at night.  Some point very soon I'm hoping.

Next time the kids ask for anything, I'm saying no to anything that breathes. 

3 comments:

Becky, Grant, Penelope and Reagan said...

I love her already! She's adorable!! :) How big do you think she'll get? How old is she now?

d e v a n said...

awww!

Melba said...

but she's SO cute!!