Monday, July 09, 2012

Multi-Task Your LIFE

We are taught to be multi-taskers. At work we must be more efficient, sometimes working three different projects at the same moment. At home we are making phone calls and making dinner -- ok, that one might apply to you, but it's not me. We are getting as much done in the shortest amount of time. Our smart phones help us along this path with apps that want us to multitask. Where else do you multitask? Do you like pumping gas and washing the windshield at the same time? Pumping gas is an easy one. Start the pump and then start doing something else while you wait.


Having said that you will now understand my frustration when I recently stopped for gas. I swiped my credit card, selected the cheap stuff, put the nozzle in my gas tank, and then realized the gas station had removed the metal lock notches on the handle. WOAH! Mr. gas station owner is crimping my style! Being forced to stand still and hold the pump handle at the back of the car was torture. My windshield was dirty! My radio station was playing a horrible song! I left my smart phone in the seat and couldn't post to Twitter!


I have to multitask every moment of my life (I'm watching a race as I type this and there are five browser tabs open). I know I'm not alone in this fight to get it all done, so who's with me? Let's force gas stations to either 1. Leave the lock notches in the handle as God wanted it to be or 2. Post a GIANT sign warning customers that they will be forced to stand there and hold the pump handle.


The only other option would be to slow down for two minutes and mono-task. Who's pushing for that besides gas station owners?

1 comment:

Farm Girl in MD said...

Doesn't the 11th commandment say something to the effect of "Thou shalt always have automatic pumps at gas stations" ?? I could have sworn I read that somewhere...