Thursday, July 19, 2012

Sam Knob Trail

Last Saturday we decided to go hiking.  I knew the place I wanted to go.  I wanted to go to the Blue Ridge Pkwy and head near the Black Balsam Knob area.  Unfortunately there was a giant blob of rain on the radar so we sat around thinking of other options.  Around 10:30 I checked the radar again and the rain had left.
"Get in the car!"

There are several trail options from the parking lot and I decided I wanted to try the Sam Knob trail.  One that I haven't been on previously.  Sam Knob is recognizable in this area from the twin bumps at the summit.

The first part of the trail is along a ridge with views out toward Black Balsam knob and Shining Rock Wilderness.

Before long you enter the second area of this trail.  As you emerge from a wooded area you enter into a meadow with tall grasses.  With Sam Knob as a background, this meadow is an awesome place to walk through.  As we walked, I thought about the Sound of Music.



The final part of this trail takes you up the mountain through a wooded area.  Near the top you can choose to go to the left peak or the right peak.  We chose left, and when we arrived at the top, found an open area with amazing views.






All along the way the youngest was sure to tell everyone she had candy in her backpack.  Then she started asking hikers if they had candy in their packs.
 On the way down she had no intention of avoiding puddles.  She did her best to stomp every puddle and splash anything in a five foot radius of her.

If you would like to see some more photos they can be found at this LINK.

This has always been one of my favorite areas to hike.  Exploring the Sam Knob trail with my family just added another reason to love this area.  I can't wait to go back.


Oh, and that pasture that reminded me of the Sound of Music caught my attention on the way back down too.

The hills are alive!!!
Things just got crazier from there. . .


Someone better check me for ticks.


2 comments:

d e v a n said...

What a great family picture!

Duck Hunter said...

Thanks Devan!