Monday, October 21, 2013

Vacation Day. . . ALONE

My vacation day that I took while everyone else was busy was planned to be a day of NOTHING.

On that day, I got up early to ensure the kids made it onto the school bus.  That was a critical element of the day!  Once they left I sat and drank a cup of coffee.   Looking out the window I saw a beautiful day and decided it was time to grab my camera and head out.

It was still early as I headed up to Caesar's Head State Park.  

 When I arrived the clouds below created a scene of white.   I was a little disappointed at not having the view but it was still an amazing day to be out.  
I stuck around and took some photos.  I watched as the clouds moved out and provided me some limited views at Table Rock and the surrounding area.  



I snapped my photos as another block of white was drifting in.  After fifteen minutes I was in a cloud and had no view.   I took some self portraits and then drove down the mountain to my next stop.






My next stop was at Bald Rock overlook on hwy 276.  The view from under the clouds was better and I took a few more photos.  There is an immense amount of graffiti on the overlook and I started taking a closer look at it all.  Most of it was a form of "(name) loves (name)".  There were also a variety of spray painted penis's on the rocks.  I wasn't surprised.








The majority of the paint was not obscene and I thought it was kind of artful for people to declare their love on this rock.  I thought back to my visit at Caesar's Head a few minutes earlier.  I hadn't photographed it, but there was a lot of graffiti up there too.  It was paint, it was names and dates carved into the rocks from decades ago.   This painted rock at Bald Rock was not a new thing, it was just easier than scratching your name for hours into a rock.

I finished my time at Bald Rock as a young couple showed up with a picnic.   I headed home to make some lunch and review the photos I had taken.
With the day only half over, my use of a vacation day was perfect.

No comments: