Wednesday, July 06, 2005

We are not buddies any more!

Meredith and I are buddies. That is what she told me BEFORE our trip to Stumphouse mountain. At stumphouse mountain, there is a tunnel. In the 1850's, the railroad was going to build a tunnel through the mountain. This was an attempt to connect Ohio with Charleston, SC. They used blasting powder and hand tools. More than a thousand immigrants worked on the project for six years. The workers only cleared 200 feet per month. At the end of the six years, the project was still not complete. Due to the lack of money and the civil war, work on the tunnel was never completed. There are no lights in the tunnel, so bring a flash light.

After seeing the entrance to this tunnel, Meredith decided she was not interested. She tried to persuade me away from the cold air, but it was too late for her. I held her in my arms, and told her to hold me tight if she was scared. She cried and protested during our walk in the tunnel. "Tunnels are not for little girls!", she informed me.
I'm told there are bats at the back of the tunnel. We did not walk that far, because I decided to end Meredith's torture. We went a bit past half way and then back out.

She was crying as we came back out into the daylight, and she told me I was not her buddy anymore.

No comments: