Monday, March 23, 2009

15,000,001

I used Skype for the first time the other day.  It was actually my mom's suggestion to try it.   I've heard about and known about Skype for some time but didn't really have any motivation to bother with it.  

Mom said she learned of it from Oprah.  Great!  Oprah is one step ahead of me on technology, I thought.  Lately, I seem to be late on any great technology or popular website.  Facebook, texting Google, Wikipedia, and now Skype.  If they numbered users in the order that they signed up I would be 15,000,001 at best. 

I installed the software and setup a user name.  Initially I had the camcorder plugged up and working, but Cari came home from Walmart with a small webcam.  She pointed out we didn't want to put our camcorder at risk by having set up very often.  

The kids and I sat by the computer while we waited for my mom to finish installing the software from the website.  Finally, mom said she was ready and we placed a video call to her.  

Within just a moment we saw my mom sitting at her computer and she saw my kids jumping around like crazy monkeys.   The video had a slight delay, but the audio was excellent quality.  

I started to realize that with Skype if you sit in your pajamas, drinking your coffee, checking your email, and then take a video call, that you would risk looking a bit rough (to put it nicely). 

I'm going to do a search this afternoon and see if I can locate Oprah on Skype.  Maybe she'll fill me in on some other tech that I'm missing out on.

2 comments:

rakethetable said...

Interesting set-up sounds like.

Let me know how this goes.

Aaron said...

You can already do video-conferencing for free between Mac users. I have Skype installed (as you know) but use it for work-related calls when I'm at home.