Friday, March 06, 2009

Cha Cha

Have you ever been sitting at lunch and started wondering how deep Lake Michigan is?  Yeah, me too.  It was helpful that I was at lunch with a coworker and he knows someone that knows about Lake Michigan.  He told me to ask ChaCha.  

I had never heard of him (or her) and Bryan started to tell me more.  If you text any question to 242-242 you will get an answer back.  I was a bit hesitant to try it because I didn't want some $50 charge to show up on my phone bill.  Bryan promised me it was free except normal texting charges.  

So I texed ChaCha and waited.  

. . . and waited. . .

After some silence of the two of us staring at my phone, Bryan started bragging on ChaCha again.  He said he had asked for a good blonde joke and received one within minutes.  He asked me if I had ever wondered what is the substance in which coal is formed from?  I told him I hadn't, and he said that ChaCha knew the answer.  I looked up at Bryan and asked  why he would think about that.  He avoided answering and continued to brag on ChaCha.

We finished eating and I still hadn't received my answer on lake Michigan.  I started to imagine ChaCha getting in a boat, driving it to the middle of lake Michigan, using a LONG pole, and measuring the depth for me.  Then he (or she) would text me the answer.  This might take a few more minutes, I thought.  

It turns out that ChaCha is a free service that you can text any question to and get an answer.  You can get sports scores, weather, trivia, and pretty much any answer to any question.  The way it works is there is an army of paid people sitting at a computer waiting for a question.  As you ask it, someone gets on the internets and starts doing some quick research to text back to you.  As far as I know, there is no guy (or gal) in a boat measuring the depth of Lake Michigan.  
It is free for the user and is paid for by advertising.  Sometimes there will be a text ad tagged onto your answer.

By the way, Lake Michigan is averaging 279 feet in depth, and reaches 925 feet at its deepest point.  What's your question?

2 comments:

Melba said...

who knew?! Now I will have to sit around at my computer and think about some questions I can text so someone else can search for the answer for me. This will be fun!

Aaron said...

I texted Google (466-453), "How deep is lake michigan?" and received an immediate response with the (presumably) correct answer. Skip the middle-man and use Google next time.