Thursday, March 19, 2009

Choices

Cari looked at me and said, "Do you want to clean the kitchen or give the baby a bath?"
Initially, I thought to myself that I would like to have more choices.  

For a moment, I didn't say anything.  I just thought as I looked around the dinner table.  When my gaze approached Meredith, she spoke up and volunteered herself to join in the baby's bath.  "That choice just became more complicated", I thought as I turned my head to Randy.  He could tell I was contemplating my choices.  He declared that he was going to go watch tv.  That sounded like a great idea, but unfortunately, wasn't one of my choices.

Cari leaned in and said, "I'll clean the kitchen and you can give the girls a bath."  I was in shock.  Did she just take my freedom of choice away?  She did!  She just took my choices away from me!  I felt robbed.  

"You can't do that.  You offered choices and I was about to make my decision.", I complained.  
My wife looked at me with eyes that said, "Hurry up and let's hear your choice."  I started stammering as my mind raced, trying to pick the easiest chore that would take the least amount of time.  I looked into the kitchen to try and judge the mess that awaited.  I quickly glanced at the baby - covered in spaghetti sauce - and Cari continued to stare at me.  

Cari stood up and took some dinner plates into the kitchen.  She asked Randy to help her clear the table and he did it without complaining.  I was still sitting, thinking about my choices, when Meredith said she was going to start the bath water.  

"What about me choosing what I was going to do?"
Cari kept working on the kitchen when she replied, "You chose to give the girls a bath."

I thought about the past few moments, trying to remember the instant that I made a choice.  I wasn't really sure if I made a choice or one was made for me.

5 comments:

rakethetable said...

I think Cari and Cinderella went to the same wife training school.

I swear if it is not that same quiestion it is.....

Do you want to cook dinner or vacuum?

Of course that second question usually comes as I am sitting on the couch playing animal crossing (spending quality time with candystick) while she walks past carrying a load of laundry........

WOMEN!

Anonymous said...

You made a choice...."I do"!!!!!!!!

Melba said...

I second what anonymous said!!

Poptart said...

She shouldn't have to ask you to make a choice. You should have volunteered to do one of them before she asked. It would have been more proactive of you.

Men!

Anonymous said...

I offer my husband choices like that all the time.

He'd rather walk through lava than give the kids a bath... so when I have a truly disgusting chore I don't want to do... I offer him that choice... or giving the kids a bath.

Baths are easy for me. :)

He hasn't caught on yet.