Thursday, January 14, 2010

Bearded


Earlier this month I decided to stop shaving.  It was an easy decision based mostly on lack of motivation and a bit of laziness.  It is a lot easier to stop doing a chore than it is to start one.

Another reason I stopped shaving was because I received an electric trimmer through a game of "dirty santa" a few weeks back.  At the time it seemed a funny thing for me to take because I've never had a beard.  But I knew this was my opportunity to try it.  

A week into my shaving strike, I realized that I was going to have tidy it up if I intended on maintaining respect at work.  I pulled Cari into the bathroom with me and my new trimmer.  I had no idea where to start.  How much do I shave?  Where do I draw the line?  I asked Cari these questions but she didn't have many answers.  She reminded me that she has never had a beard either.  If I screwed up too much, I'd have to shave completely and start over.  I had worked so hard at not shaving, I'd hate to start over now.   I started by shaving the hair off of my neck.  Roughly tracing a line below my jaw bone I instantly knew I was on the right path.
Cari, who initially hated my shaving strike, agreed that it looked much better after some trimming.

I'm now on a schedule that requires me to shape it up or trim it about twice a week.  It's not as much of a chore as shaving every day, but it takes more thought than just shaving my whole face.  I'm starting to realize that having a beard is about as much work as not having one.  This isn't going to be the vacation from shaving that I thought it could be.

Beard 1.0 has come in enough now to get noticed at work.  There were a few days when I would get multiple  coworkers stopping me and making comments.  "Are you growing a beard?", they'd ask.  I thought it was kinda a dumb question and I normally responded with an equally dumb response.  Something along the lines of, "It's starting to look that way."

I'm going to keep this going for a while.  Initially, I thought I'd stop at the end of the month, but the longer I have it, the more it kinda grows on me!

3 comments:

Amanda said...

Makes you look older. Just sayin :)

Farm Girl in MD said...

I agree, you look more mature.

Cari said...

I like the way you look. With or with out the beard. Very handsome!!