Friday, January 22, 2010

The Poisoned Cup

You know the story of the poisoned cup.  Person 'A' pours two identical cups and poisons one of them.  He is sure to keep them straight as he serves one to person 'B'.  Person 'B', being suspicious, switches the cups.  The ending changes depending on who is telling the story, but you get the idea.

I remind you of that, not because Cari tried to poison me, but because she bought new pillows for the bed.  I told you about the pillow situation previously.

We were getting ready for bed last night when she pointed toward the bed and told me that she got us some new pillows.  I assumed that what had happened was that she purchased herself a new pillow and my new pillow was her old one. It's like the hand-me-down clothes you used to get for Christmas.  I made that assumption based on past pillow purchases. I looked over at the neatly made bed but didn't say anything.

I continued my routine of getting ready for bed, waiting for the right moment.  I was going to make the switch.  When she went into the bathroom and clicked the door shut, I jumped over and switched the pillows. I took care to place them back exactly as they were.  A few minutes later we laid down and I waited for her to complain about her pillow.

I was disappointed when she didn't say anything so I asked her how she liked the new pillow.  She said it was great.  Why wasn't she screaming about her pillow?  I thought that maybe she knew I'd switch them and initially placed the new one on my side of the bed.  The pillow under my head felt fine, but was it the old or the new?  I asked her to switch with me as we lay there.

"The pillows are the same.  I bought two.", she said with some annoyance in her voice.  I continued to insist a trade until she agreed.  When she finally agreed I couldn't tell if that was part of the game.  Maybe she wanted me to trade and give her the new pillow back.  As she held her pillow my direction, I refused it.  Isn't it possible that she gave herself the new pillow when she made the bed, knew that I switched them, and now was about to get the new pillow back under head?

"What is your problem?", she asked.  She was tired and not happy to be playing these games.  She put the pillow back under her head and looked so comfortable.

The various versions of the poisoned cup story ran through my head and left me feeling outsmarted.

1 comment:

One Scrappy Gal said...

I hope you learned a little lesson about not trusting your wife! Angel that she is... bought you a pillow and everything...