Sunday, January 10, 2010

A Little Less Cold

As cold as it has been lately around here, it can be difficult to stay warm when you leave the house.   This has been especially true if riding around town in my car with the heater that hates me.  If you remember, Cari claimed that I wasn't getting heat because I possibly wasn't nice enough to the car.  I still believed there was another way to force hot air out of those vents.

A few days ago, after a particularly cold drive to work while wearing a jacket, scarf, gloves, and hat, I told a coworker that I had just about froze to death on my drive.  It's a thirty minute drive to work and it was twenty something degrees.  His first response was, "Is your coolant low?"

By the expression on my face, he must have heard my answer, "Huh?"  I just got done telling him that I had frost bite in my hands and on my nose and he asks if my COOLANT is low.  Obviously, I don't know much about auto mechanics.  Anyway, I remembered that the low coolant light had been on for the past three months but I had ignored it because I thought it was too cold to over heat the car anyway.  I wasn't about to admit to my coworker that I had ignored the warning like an idiot, so I just told him that it "possibly" could be a bit low.  The reality is that I thought there was probably almost no fluid in the radiator.

That night I picked up a few bottles of cheap 50/50 mix at the auto store, filled the radiator, and ran the car for fifteen minutes.  For the first time this winter the inside of my car was HOT!

Oh sweet hot air!

The next morning I drove to work in my underwear with the heat blowing against my naked chest.  So what if it was 22 degrees outside, I was INSIDE the car!

No comments: