Thursday, January 28, 2010

Dude, Where'd My Yard Go?

We had a massive amount of rain over the past week.  It seems like we have been getting rain on a weekly basis lately.  Before the ground can dry out, we get more.  My back yard is in a constant state of mush.  From the porch, it looks ok, but when you try and walk on it, you sink in at least six inches.

The neighbor called us over the day after this last rain and said that her yard had washed away.  I was certain that she was exaggerating and I went for a walk to their yard expecting to see a small rut.  What I found when I got there was that, indeed, her yard had washed away.  A very large chunk of earth had caved in and much of that fallen soil had been washed out, leaving a big gap.

I hope that it stops raining long enough for them to secure what is left, or they may have to move downstream with their house.

No comments: