Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Swype

I was going to write a blog about some of the various apps I have been using on the Motorola Droid.  Everyday I enjoy this phone more and more.  There are widgets for the home screens and apps to download making the phone more and more MY phone.

That post about widgets and apps may get written in the near future, but for now I have to tell you about this amazing keyboard called SWYPE.

I had read about it in some forums but ignored it because it sounded complicated or hokey.  I thought it would be a gimmick.  As time went on, more and more people were raving about the awesomeness of Swype and then I found this video.


I had to try it!  I found and downloaded the version for the Droid that was floating around on the internets.  After only a day or two of trying it out I fell it in love with it.  It is fast to write words in Swype.  It calculates what you are trying to write and you don't have to 100% accurate.  I can write fast and sloppy and when I stop to proof read it, I find it VERY accurate.   On top of being quick and accurate, using Swype is FUN.

For longer emails and messages I still tend to use the physical keyboard on the Droid, but when I am texting, I am using Swype.

Unfortunately, this isn't an app you can download from the market.  The developer, who is an inventor of T9 text, wants to sell it to phone makers and have it included in the phone.  They don't want to sell it to the end user at this time.  If you have an Android based phone, and want to try Swype, let me know.

An alternative program that I have not tried, but looks to work about the same is called Shapewriter.  Shapewriter is available on multiple platforms including the iPhone.

If you have a touchscreen keyboard device, and you really like tapping your greasy finger all over the screen, and you like fixing errors more than typing words, then just ignore this post.  The other option is to join what is to be the future.  The future is FUN.

1 comment:

jen(nvermelts) said...

I still blog, it's over here in my link ;)

This looked cool so i had to check it out for my iTouch.